Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Street Food #1

When I first came to Korea, I set a lot of goals for myself. Shamefully few of the goals involve furthering my career - most have to do with food. Like, I will eat a Papparoti every day. Or a 호떡. And try all sorts of different street foods.

Surprisingly, I'm not really keeping up with my food goals. I suppose that's not a bad thing, because if I did, I would have to keep up with my other goal of running every day. (It happened once.) It's not like I'm NOT eating delicious things here (see above post), but it's time to step up. I only have a month left here. I'm getting tired of 하숙집 food. It's time to fully embrace my zero-income-generator status and just start eating out all the time.

The other day I had a street food snack that I have never seen on my previous trips to Seoul:
It's an egg encased in a slightly sweet waffle batter (계란빵). It satisfied my craving for something sweet but wasn't so entirely unhealthy that I felt guilty about it later. Plus, the protein powered me through an epic hour of shopping that involved buying 2 pairs of shoes, a couple sweaters, and bargaining a wool coat down to 50,000 won from 83,000 won. (That was a fluke that will probably never happen again. I think it makes up for the scarf that I stupidly overpaid for last week.)
Oh, and the 계란빵 was less than 70 cents.

No comments:

Post a Comment