Monday, September 28, 2009

하숙집 (Boarding house) Life

On Sunday I moved into a boarding house close to school. Here is my room:

Here is my closet:

Yes mom, I've only been here for a day and 방이 벌써 엉망이 됐다. (I've managed to mess up my room.) My room is a little bigger than others I've seen, but still pretty small compared to american standards. The bathroom here is funny - there is no shower stall, but a detachable shower head attached to the wall, so when you want to shower, you just kinda get water everywhere. The floor has a drain directly in it, so it's pretty much always wet.

As student boarders, we get breakfast and dinner every day. When we were going around looking at rooms, my mom would always tell the landlady that I can't eat spicy or salty food. (I can, so I don't know where that came from.) So the first night I ate dinner here, the landlady made spicy soup but made a separate non-spicy version for me. I hope she doesn't think I'm a pain in the ass. We also got a fried egg with dinner, so I was a bit alarmed when I got another fried egg this morning for breakfast. (And I mean fried - no Pam here, but lots and lots of oil...) I spent a good deal of today worrying about if I would get another fried egg at dinner, and how I could politely tell the landlady that I don't want to eat more than one egg a day without inadvertently offending her in my very broken Korean, but luckily at dinner we got spicy braised chicken (닭찜). For each meal, everybody gets his/her own bowl of rice, then sits down to a table full of side dishes (반찬) - usually kimchi, cucumbers, spinach, zucchini, and seaweed sheets. The landlady then gives us a bowl of soup or whatever protein she has cooked for the meal. I still haven't figured out how the timing of everything works - it seems like there are a lot of students living here, but so far each meal I have eaten by myself or with only one other person. Also, I'm not sure if this is a korean thing, or an I'm-a-student-and-need-to-get-back-to-studying thing, but people here eat SUPER fast. I thought I ate fast, considering I'm done with my entire meal in about 15 to 20 minutes, but the girl who ate dinner at the same time I did yesterday was done in literally five minutes, as was the guy who ate dinner with me tonight.

Speaking of studying, I should stop procrastinating and get to my homework:

We have to write three sentences for each new vocab word we learn. That's fine and all, but thinking of three different sentences for a very specific word like "business major" is a little frustrating. My dad suggested:
I like studying business.
I don't like studying business.
I majored in business at school.
Ha ha! Seriously, it was quite tempting. I'm not sure how well that would go over with my teacher though...

No comments:

Post a Comment